Ten tips for choosing the right domain name for your business website:
It is crucial that visitors remember and revisit your site.
- Short and easy to type
Short names are easy to remembered, to type, and to share.
- Easy to spell
Avoid vague wording with high tendency to be spelled incorrectly.
- Avoid hyphen
Name with hyphen is less memorable and tend to be misspelled.
- Include keywords
Related keywords help your site to be listed in the search results.
- Target your area
If your business is local, consider including your city or state in your domain name to make it easy for local customers to find and remember.Eg.: MelakaHomeCleaning.com, PenangCookies.com
- Avoid trademarked names
Ensure that you’re not going to be infringing on anyone else’s copyright.Eg.: BetterThanStarBucks.com, NextToMcDonalds.com
- Appropriate domain name extension
.COM is the most popular, but here are some other top extensions and how they’re often used:
- .co : an abbreviation for company, commerce, and community
- .org : non-commercial organizations and non-profits
- .net : technical, Internet infrastructure sites
- .biz : business or commercial use, like ecommerce sites
- .info : informational sites
- .me : blogs, resumes or personal sites
- Protect and Build Your Brand
If there is sufficient budget, you should strategically purchase various domain extensions, and also misspelled versions of your domain name. This prevents your competitors from registering other versions and ensures your customers are directed to your website, even if they misspell it.
- Act Fast
Domain names sell quickly, thus, you shall grab your favorite domain names as soon as possible before it is taken.